Monday, May 5, 2014

Sink or swim

I am alone, drifting through the tidal storm.While the world crashes above me in angry waves I float aimlessly beneath the surface. In the past when I have found myself underwater I thought the only way to surface was to grab on to a life rope thrown by some other drowning soul. We would reach the surface for a time before the waves would crash down again and the hold we had to each other was easier to release than to fight to maintain, leaving us drifting apart to float in our desolation alone.

I have been floating for a while now, sinking ever deeper. My eyes peer through the murky darkness, seeking out another drowning soul to latch on to so that we could surface together. When no soul is found, I understand how alone I am at this depth. As I drift to the bottom of my despondency, right before I hit the sandy bottom, it dawns on me; I could have kicked my way to the air at any time.

I kick out desperately, and push against the sea floor. In no way am I certain that I can surface before my lungs and my hope give out. But I will keep kicking until I ascend successfully or die trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment